1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Looking for a new laptop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kyle, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Hi! ;)

Some of my old Samsung's keyboard buttons stopped to work, so now I'm looking for a new laptop that would last approximately 3 years.

So the question is - ASUS ROG GL552VX, MSI GL62-6QC or maybe even DELL Inspiron 7559 ? Which one is better?
    I heard that Asus has a good build quality, MSI has a cooling system which cools down the system after some demanding games and Dell has a great battery. (Needs to be portable for studies.)

Also looking forward to some gaming that could run GTA 5 on high settings perhaps.

What are more pros and cons for these brands ? And what laptop you would suggest me to buy?
    Could someone share their own experiences with these products?

Some info. on Specs for the laptops:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Processor (6 MB Cache, 2.6 GHz)
    RAM: 8 GB
    Video card: ( Asus - GeForce GTX 950M 2 GB GDDR3, MSI - GeForce GTX 960M 2GB DDR5, Dell - GeForce GTX 960 4GB DDR5)
    HDD -1TB

Asus price: 879 €
    MSI price: 949 €
    Dell price: 999 €

Or should I go with Asus ROG GL752VW which costs 959 € and is with GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 with screen size 17.3? ( Just because of the video card) Not sure if Asus GTX 950M will run smootly GTA 5 on high settings)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  2. Robert

Robert lol Moderator Dedicated Donor

I've been using my MSI for the past.. year? I suppose, still hasn't lost any performance (I clean it regularly) and is capable of running demanding games on (at least) medium to very high.
    In general, the MSI is a robust laptop I can carry with me everywhere, I won't replace this fine piece of equipment for at least 3 years.
    Something I cannot say from the 3 Acers I had before this one.

I've bought a tad more expensive version of yours, specs:
    https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GP60-2QF-Leopard-Pro.html#hero-overview

• Like Like x 1
  3. czissnoob

czissnoob New Member

I can only say PC Masterrace. You would probably get better hardware for the same price or even lower.

4. 복숭아

복숭아 Not too shabby Donor

"(Needs to be portable for studies.)"

I used MSI and Dell for a while and my Dell seemed more reliable. Using MacBook Pro since several years now, so I can't talk about any recent experience.

• Zing Zing x 1
  5. Shinso

Shinso Just working. Moderator Dedicated Donor

I haven't had an ASUS laptop but I have an MSI one. In terms of build quality there is nothing wrong with it, I take it with me when ever I travel.
    The main thing I noticed with my MSI GS70 was that I would probably be happier using it if it was smaller, even if it wasn't quite as powerful. My point is size does matter (depending on how you use it).

If you are going to buy a laptop now then I would go with the slightly more expensive ASUS one since you intend to game on it. The build quality on ASUS and MSI are known to be good across almost all their products. I'm not too sure about dell though. The price for them also seems pretty reasonable. (Do you also game on a desktop or will you only use the laptop?)

If I was going to buy a laptop then I would be tempted to wait a few months until the new line of pascal nvidia gpus go into laptops, they should be almost identical to desktop graphics cards instead of the M type ones. You'll get the extra performance without paying much more then I believe. For now I would replace the keyboard on the current laptop since its very cheap and easy to do. That's just my opinion though...

• Like Like x 2
  6. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about pascal nvidia gpus, but unfortunately I'm not interested in them, because I already have a PC with an i7 processor and with a GTX 1070 video card and I need to get an a new laptop till september as fast as possible, so I don't have time until they come out...

By the way, how good is the MSI's keyboard (Pretty decent, responsive to type?) Read more reviews about MSI's battery, not really good reviews. (Is the battery good? e.g. Will the battery last like a bit more then 2 hours on medium brightness while watching videos/ a movie ?) And what about the screen? Is it decent enough and with a good viewing angles?

7. I have the same ASUS you are considering. Bought it nearly 2 months ago.

The battery life on this beast is amazing. A full power laptop with 8+ hours battery life (don't know how much it would exactly be because I never run out of battery) and these specs is great.

I love the build quality and the laptop is designed to be upgrade-friendly. The laptop has easy-access to the interior so you can upgrade to an SSD or add more RAM if you would like to do so.

I bought it for at least 3 years of use as well, and for as far as I can tell now, that should not be a problem.

Seeing as you asked about the MSI keyboard, the ASUS keyboard is great. Feels good and isn't too stiff or too clicky clacky or whatever. Feels just right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Robert

I've got a build in steelseries keyboard, very, very satisfying when you get used to it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Shinso

Shinso Just working. Moderator Dedicated Donor

Since you already have a desktop with a pretty good setup then I might be more tempted to go with the cheaper ASUS since you are probably less likely to game on it as much.
    I have the same steelseries keyboard with rgb backlighting, which is the same one used on the MSI GL62-6QC (except no backlighting on that). The keyboard on my laptop was fairly good, my only complaint is that I bought it from america so I have an american style enter key. The touchpad wasn't too great, it had sometimes been overly sensitive and I occasionally press it while typing.

The screen works perfectly, and I haven't had issues with low light (other than when sitting with the sun right on the screen). I hadn't really noticed the viewing angles but I checked and they are fine from any angle.

I didn't have any real issues with the battery on mine, if I turn up the power saving settings I would get about 4-5 hours at most but my laptop isn't really one designed to last long on battery (GTX 970M, 3x mSATA SSD in raid 0 and a 1tb HDD). I chose it mainly as something to use as a "portable desktop" which could still run vms and most things my desktop runs while traveling.

The MSI laptop you were looking at should have about 4 hours of battery life (at 40% brightness playing a video). The reviews of the two ASUS laptops both put it at around 4-5 hours of battery life in the same conditions.

10. Robert

That touchpad issue is the main reason I bought this guy:
    http://www.consoleshop.nl/product/155498/sharkoon-fireglider-zwart.html

I got used to it, eventually, but now I usually disable it.

11. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

You own the Asus with the plastic or with the metallic lid cover version? Is it 15.6 or 17.3 inch?
    And one more thing, did you get used to the power on button on top of the right side of the keyboard? Is cleaning the dust off from the keyboard is pretty easy or difficult?

12. Plastic, 15.6 inch, power button toon about 3 times accidentally hitting it before I got used to it. Cleaning is simple.

13. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

I've decided that I'll go with the Asus.
    Thanks to all of those who shared their experiences and helped me to decide which one should I buy. :-)

• Like Like x 3