1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pending Make the Hall of Shame more visible and remove the TED section if it doesn't add any revenue

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Renekton, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Renekton

Renekton CCPLZ Donor Donor

Dear CCPLZ,

As someone who mainly joined CCPLZ to trade items it makes me sad that members are often a victim of a scam. I have noticed that scammers often try to scam as many people at once on CCPLZ after they get reported. This can be proved by the following screenshot from the hall of shame:
    [​IMG]

Here you can see several reports of the same users in a short amount of time. This can be blamed by the fact that users trade outside of CCPLZ through skype. But also because of the fact new/less experienced traders pay too little attention to the hall of shame and neclect the tips from this thread: https://ccplz.net/threads/trading-advice-and-information.57080/.

I would suggest that any new reply or thread in the hall of shame would become visible in the latest posts section of ccplz and is seen in the shoutbox (like they do with releases and threads in the general discussion).

People often play down the fact that traders get scammed on CCPLZ because it involves trades of virtual items, but when you lose about €100 to someone from another country it will take a lot of efford to arrange a chargeback especially when you traded as a gift/to friends or family. And when you lose an item without getting paid you are certainly tricked with no compensation.

My 2nd suggestion would be that new threads by TED won't be visible in the latest posts section of ccplz and the shoutbox. Or that the TED bot would get removed for good if it doesn't pay anything to CCPLZ.

This suggestion is based on the fact that these TED threads get rarely viewed and nobody cares to reply to them so they don't lead to any discussion. Here is a screenshot of the TED threads:
    [​IMG]

You can see 957 threads with very little to none replies and views.

I hope people can reply to my suggestions if they think they should be implemented. Even if it is only one of my two suggestions. I appreciate any feedback and views on this matter.

But I would like to invite the following people to certainly look at this:

@Hugh
    @Shinso
    @Robert
    @Jafel
    @Tryst
    @Kent

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. 복숭아

복숭아 Not too shabby Donor

I enjoy TED.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Original

Original ♛ Mikaelson ♛ Donor

I totaly agree with this. Both suggestions.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Race Him

Race Him Tryst hates blacks Donor

One suggestion i can say to make the hall of shame more visible would be to make a thread in the trading section, and within that thread put the link to the hall of shame, also with all relevant information and sticky it.

5. Hugh

Hugh www.emsmesos.com Moderator Helper Donor

I don't really mind this idea, but i do in a way. because people may just comment on it when it should really be between a moderator (the scammer) and the person being scammed, if anybody else would reply saying something like
    ''Stupid fucking scammer''
    It would most likely be useless, as Mods would already be dealing with it
    (But if you've got input on the person who scammed or maybe have some vital information then we would welcome it.)
    But yes It would be a good idea for the fact that people who have just logged on ccplz, would see the hall of shame thread and have maybe got pm'd/skype'd from the potential scammer.
    I personally have the hall of shame thread under my watch threads (for new posts) so as soon as I'm on i can try sort something out.

Me personally, I don't mind it being here, because I may not look at all of them, there is still some good ones I've seen before. that I probably would not have found (because i don't go to the official TED website)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ragnar

Ragnar Well-Known Member

I agree with the first suggestion, but I don't mind the TED threads. They do however push down other (maybe important) threads in the list...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kent

Kent Posol Lyubvi Administrator Moderator Dedicated Donor

It's the trader's job to check users for recent negative feedback, or for any threads in the Hall of Shame. Users can watch the forum for new threads or new replies to existing threads, and they will receive a notice.

8. Original

Original ♛ Mikaelson ♛ Donor

When a trade is going on, that system won't make scammers not to scam.

9. Kent

Kent Posol Lyubvi Administrator Moderator Dedicated Donor

You've done it, problem solved! I can't believe this answer has eluded us for so long!
    We'll call it Schrödinger's Scam! A scammer is not a scammer until observed as such. Good job, well done! We can pack this all up knowing a solution has been found.

• Made me laugh! Made me laugh! x 4
    • Gold! Gold! x 1
  10. Nickerian

Nickerian Well-Known Member Coder Donor

just make a status notification where u can see the trade status of users which should be visible everywhere (especially in pm) grey = never traded, red = banned, orange = ongoing investigation, yellow = less then 5 trades but possitive, green = trusted (more then 5 possitive trades), transparent green = trusted but last trade made long time ago

something simular. the most important is that users should be notified if there is any ongoing investigations against them.
    ----------------------------
    i dont mind ted that much but yes maybe it shouldnt be in the latest post thingy

11. Swanniie

Swanniie Time = Money Donor

I think the point is that when someone is going to scam, they usually try to get 2-3 trades going on at once, via Skype or whatever. They will try to do the trades one after another and then scam them all at once. Obviously they would be able to do this regardless of if the Hall of Shame thread was viewable from the main page or not, because the person would have already scammed all of the victims before someone could make a thread. But it could help those that are about to trade someone who has just scammed a few people. Of course it IS the person's responsibility to check feedback and whatnot. But what's the harm in granting (just a little) bit more security/safety?

TL;DR yes

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Shinso

Shinso Just working. Moderator Dedicated Donor

Half the time when there is a scam I am told before a thread has been made. Once there is a reason to suspect someone we give them a trade ban which anyone viewing that person on CCPLZ will be able to see. This means it doesn't matter where the Hall of Shame section is.

Overall I would say the forum is EXCEPTIONALLY safe compared to almost all other forums with trading sections for real money. 7 / 3496 trades went bad in the last year. There are 18 threads in the hall of shame section from January though which shows not everyone left feedback from bad trades. I doubt changing its location would make any difference to how often it gets checked.

------------------------

I view about 1/2 - 1/3 of the TED threads and often enjoy them but they never get any messages. I'm ok with the way it is at the moment personally but I guess it depends on how many view them.

13. @Hugh and @Shinso are the main authority on the Trade Section. I agree with them. The amount of trades actually going wrong or end up in someone getting scammed are small. The "Trading Advice and Information" thread could/should include a link to the Hall of Shame though.

It is impossible for us to prevent 100% of all possible scams people might attempt on CCPLZ. The current system is already very tight.

And I disagree with your stance on the TED posts. There is no reason to remove it unless the bot starts spamming and the newest links are full of TED talks. TED talks are interesting and when I see something that interests me I click it to watch it. It's a non-intrusive way of having a public RSS feed of topics that might interest users. (In this case, TED talks)

14. TheLegend27

TheLegend27 Well-Known Member

Ive been scammed once by someone woth 50+feedback. Same with this latest scammer, remordi. He had quite some positive feedback aswell. So just feedback records isnt enough in all cases.

15. These traders plan their scam in advance. They will scam multiple users at the same time to prevent spreading of information. The Hall of Shame posts will not be on time in these cases.

16. Shinso

Shinso Just working. Moderator Dedicated Donor

In these cases it is usually people returning from long periods of inactivity. This happened with a previous middleman which is why many of the ones we have had been removed from the list. Most people don't think of this but there also isn't a way to educate most people about these types of risks.

17. Hugh

Hugh www.emsmesos.com Moderator Helper Donor

I suggest people who trade with other people (who have low feedback) offer to use a Middleman, If the person denies, then it could be a sign that they have other intentions (This is not always the case)
    There should possibly be a banner in the trading section thread (Not a sticky thread) that says at all times (to check their feedback) and offer to use a Middleman. ect.

18. apprenticeCS

apprenticeCS (づ。◕‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧ Moderator Dedicated Donor

On the scam side of things, it's also worth noting that, if a user leaves a negative feedback all mods get a report automatically. So even if no HoS post is made, the trade is still investigated.

As for TED, I read quite a few of them and I don't believe they post often enough to be annoying.

• Agree Agree x 1