1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help PC trouble

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by apprenticeCS, Feb 22, 2017.

1. apprenticeCS

apprenticeCS (づ。◕‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧ Moderator Dedicated Donor

So I've been playing 'Life is strange' and really enjoying it. But my pc keeps spazzing out in some cut scenes.

I've run av/as scans and found nothing, ran ccleaner too. Run win 10 hardware diagnostic and it found nothing. Tried to run a bench tested for gfx and my pc froze on the third test.

This is a video of the ending cut scene for Ep 2 of life is strange, I would say spoiler alert, but... not really :-(

My GFX card finally dead (six years old at least) or do I have a more annoying (albeit less expensive) issue?

2. pogey

pogey CCPLZ Donor Donor

First off, great choice in game. I really suggest you play through this one at least once more to experience everything it offers. Secondly, it's either your GFX card or ram. I'm leaning towards GFX.

Also, check out Firewatch after that game. It's about 4-6 hour commitment, but is of a similar vein of storybook playthrough

3. Kinesys

Kinesys Active Member

im with @pogey Ive had this albeit a bit different issue, when i replaced my gfx card it would act normal again.

4. Vengeance

Vengeance CCPLZ Donor Donor

what are your specs? If you have onboard graphics, try running the game on lowest settings and see if it spases out then.
    If not, its your gpu.

5. apprenticeCS

I'll grab a tool to test RAM and see what results I get.
    intel i5 4690k
    16GB ddr3 RAM
    Radeon HD 6800

Everything apart from GFX was new last year, hence I think my GFX has finally gone kaput. Gonna be expensive for a new one though, hope I can ride it out until I've paid of my holiday :/

I lowered the game to medium settings and it didn't seem to get any better, only other thing I can think of that might help to resolve (temporarily) is the fact that my PC had been turned on for almost two whole days. Maybe it got tired :/

6. Race Him

Race Him Tryst hates blacks Donor

just buy a replacement, if you want short term solution, just get a cheap GTX 750ti/950/960 and then buy yourself a gtx 1070/1080
    but bearing in mind your card is old as you others has said it could had just died

7. apprenticeCS

Ok, so now we've established it's probably my GFX, save me starting a new thread.

Which GFX to buy? To last me another 5-6years and give me some top end gaming experiences. Quick search on google for cards tested this year shows this as the most agreed upon card - Nvidia GTX 1080

And I've been a Radeon guy for so long, swapping to Nvidia will mean installing all the new software and shit :/ I'm so lazy xD

8. Kinesys

Kinesys Active Member

amd rx480 8gb is what ill be buying in a few weeks. Been an AMD guy since always so'll just stick with that. Also i dont like the 1080 pricetag

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. apprenticeCS

Well it looks like the issue is getting worse fast. My options are to buy a top gfx card right now or grab a cheap replacement now and only use it for 6 months or so.

My current card is a radeon hd6800 I'm looking at an nvidia gtx 750ti for £100 I'll assume that the nvidia card is newer and more powerful than mine and will therefore serve as a capable replacement for the time being?

gtx 1080 gaming x 8GB is £650 which is a tad high imo. I can get a 1070 gaming x8GB for £440, how do they compare?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  10. Vengeance

i think you should go for the rx 480 8gb as Kinesys suggested. Absolutely banging for its price.
    You can get some for below £200 atm

11. apprenticeCS

That rx a good gfx card? I wanna play top spec now and then have it last another 5 years or so with decent gfx still.

Wierd how this is going, I can play Dota fine, but I laod up chrome and it crashes with white screen -.-

12. Vengeance

Wierd how this is going, I can play Dota fine, but I laod up chrome and it crashes with white screen -.-[/QUOTE]

If you want to play 4k, top spec and you have the budget for a 1080, go for it.
    If you want a cheaper alternative which is by no definition bad and will definitely last couple of years, you can go for the 480 8gb.

13. apprenticeCS

[​IMG]

Just dropping this here. The message I get when the game crashes in cut scenes.

Hmm, I have the budget for it, just not right now, that's the shame of it. My holiday won't be paid off until May. Might have to grab a stopgap card for 5 months or so.

14. Vengeance

a quick google shows its something relating to your direct x.
    Check out these two threads.
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/242920/discussions/0/540734254971841864/
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/242920/discussions/0/522730701273245871/

15. apprenticeCS

That's a different error to the one I usually get, noticed it after posting. I actually ran CCleaner again and fixed registry errors and finished Life is strange with no issue.

AND IT WAS FUCKING AMAZING!!!!

Wierd huh?

I'll check out the links though.

16. Kinesys

Kinesys Active Member

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-vs-AMD-RX-480/3609vs3634

rx480 is classified as on of the top specs cards, though 1080 is better. You have to ask yourself if it is worth the price difference. The 1080 will be just as bad in 6 years as the rx480 if we continue the grow of need of better performance in the next couple of years. So you'll have to buy a new one no matter what in a few years if you want to keep playing the newest games on top specs.

Edit:
    But you can play top specs with it now and decently in the coming years i presume

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  17. apprenticeCS

Handy little site, thanks. I seem to have got my PC stable for now so I don't need an emergency GFX card (yet...) so I'll be waiting until maybe June until I purchase (God willing). But I'll certainly consider all options, no point throwing money away unnecessarily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. apprenticeCS

Just for future reference, where do people usually buy their stuff from?

I usually use dabs but it recently became BT shop and they don't seem to stock some MSI cards. I found a place called scan.co.uk and also newegg.com as well as Amazon. But idk which is a decent, trustworthy place to look at.

19. Kinesys

Kinesys Active Member

for me i use Tweakers.nl which is a dutch techforum aswell as a teck market space AND a tech pricecomparison site.
    Though i do also order from ebay.de and ebay.com(bought a ampedwireless router from it which isnt buyable in the Netherlands), though i would only buy new stuff from site like that.

20. Vengeance

Amazon or overclockers uk for me. Mainly Amazon because their customer service is unreal.

• Agree Agree x 1