1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor people

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Roel, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roel

Roel Well-Known Member

What is your opinion on donating money so that kids in africa can eat?

I dont think i have to work for someone else (as in, donating the money that i earned to someone else), they should rather have africa do the same thing we did a couple 100 of years ago, civilize, have them all find it out themselves i think thats the best.

I dont think i should feel sorry for them, while they are still primitive people that kill animals on a daily basis for food.. Thats just nature right? Well then let nature find them out how to grow vegetables etc (i know they know it, but u get my point)

i think they should stabilize a economy by theirself, pick leaders from towns, get the logs rolling.
  2. mageboys

mageboys iPlayNaked Donor

On a personal level i feel bad for them having so little,

If everybody donated im sure a real difference could be made to the country, however i do not donate due to one fact we all need money to live nice and comfortably..

In my opinion in the UK instead of donations from people who are working hard and giving out money they need themselvs they should just take a very small percent of the richer people in the UK people who earn maybe ?80,00+... i know this seems unfair but i feel they could afford it and if it was only a small percentage it wouldnt really matter to them as they are living alot healthier than everyone else... people might say this is wrong but i feel everyone who has a high income should be made to pay a small amount so that they can get a economy started and a few businesses going....

my other idea of this would be for the goverment of places such as China.. USA.. England.. to set factories up in these places as the work is cheap this will employ workers and put money into their economy, it could work like in Newcastle a software firm was paid 200,000 to set up location in that part of the city to employ local people if companies had a incentive... to build a factory there they would most likely be tempted to move...
  3. Roel

Roel Well-Known Member

well i dont think it helps when u make richer people pay more tax, or donations. That happens in holland, and its a fucked up situation here (srry for the f word)

people without jobs driving nice cars, people living off.. idk what the english word is, they don thave a job but get money from the government for food, and they dont work because they only get 20% more income if they work all week, then if they could be on the streets chilling, selling drugs, ripping tourists
  4. DarkSpace

DarkSpace Well-Known Member Coder

i am a long time donator for africa. 7euro a month for us doesnt make much difference but it does make alot of things happen in africa

sure you can say. "But 7euro is nothing.. why even bother donating it?"
    now let say 100 people say that. it isnt 7euro anymore. its 700euro.

i do believe that donating some money will help out. your few euros could save a life or 2 without you even knowing it.
    it will provide people with an extra injection. with an extra plate of food. with an extra pill for a child.

you'd expect the same if you were out there.

on the other note. i also thought about why richer people dont do shyt. companies, presidents and what not.
    if they really wanted to help out. places like netherlands, UK, Ireland, Spain and other EU countries, they can provide alot of money, food, medicine and clothes
    and with other people's donations they could cure africa in 2 to 3 years time. but no.

so i guess if they wont do it, someone has to.
  5. mageboys

Donations to fund the government in able to make businesses go to the country and set up and also it might allow for public buildings and jobs to be created
  6. Lemon

Lemon Y u so adorable???????? Banned

Ok listen.

10K NX > Food for 10 people for a week in africa.

7. Twister

Twister Well-Known Member

I totally disagree with Roel. Im sorry but its not only their fault.
    If you actually have a look at your vegtables, lots of them are coming from afrika, or other 3rd world countries.
    You know for how much traders buy em for?
    For barely anything.. Lets say we buy a cucumber in the supermarket, its like 70-90 cents?
    Traders buy them for what.. lets say 5-10 cents each? No wonder those people dont get a normal paycheck.
    You get my point?

And as for donations, I know lots of donation funds are shit, they might just send 20-40% to the 3rd world countries.
    But there are also a few donation funds which actually helps, and not keep more than half of the money for themself.
    And I do believe donating helps, if you donate to the right donation fund.
    Also, lets say everyone in the europe would donate just 5 euro.

500.000.000 people * 5 euro = 2.500.000.000 euro.
    And if all of that would go to Afrika Im sure people would be happier than anyone else in the world.
    Unfortunately that doesnt happen.
  8. Scum 5436

Scum 5436 Banned Banned

We do got some Fair Trade organizations in Holland though, which do pay the farmers of Africa a decent price, ( Max Havelaar etc. ) however this is just a minor percentage of the complete trading industry.
  9. Roel

Roel Well-Known Member

True, and that i do support, as long as it doesnt cost twice as much as the other products!
    Butt we should just teach those farmers that they need to stick up for each other and be an union, now they are just backstabbing each other by extreme competition, but still i dont think i should donate too poor countrys like Africa just because they are poorer.
  10. mageboys

the farmers even with fair trade get a tiny tiny percentage more than normally, most of the price of supermarket products isnt from the farmers its to the factories farmers transport the goods to as they dont have the machines to make everything safe and checked over on the farms themselves
  11. Twister

At the bold part I want to mention, if they would stick up for each other Traders would just go to someone else who will sell it for less.
    And believe me, there would be plenty of farmers who would do so. Because they know theyre not being treated fairly and they can do barely anything about it, and so theyll take most of the offers they get to have a living.

At the underlined part I only have one thing to say, how does that make you a not-selfish person who doesnt care about another. ._.
  12. Roel

Roel Well-Known Member

well twister then noone is non-selfish unless he donates to poor ppl in africa, the 9/11 emergency funds, to WNF, all other charity funds

i just think, if the rest of the world could do it on their own they should do so too
  13. Twister

Its not only their fault.

Listen to this.

We, western people, the good ones, the rich ones think we're so said the higher rank of human beings. We're all so powerful. We're all so rich.
    And because the people in afrika are black, we think we stand above them, that they aint equal to us, theyre crap, theyre poor.
    And because of that we that profit from them, big time, especially in the past.
    If we all would treat eacother equaly I doubt people in any 3rd world country would be in way more less hunger, and anything else.

By donating you atleast show you care about another human being. It should make you feel proud that you arent like em selfish people who only cares about themself.
  14. SirJafel

SirJafel Guest

I like to invest in myself, I need to get through things too youknow ;D, building up an economic buffer will help you later on.
  15. Twister

True, but what harm would be 3-10$ less in the month.
    None I suppose.
  16. mageboys

No one is saying not to donate to anything else you asked us about donating to Africa and that is the answers people who have a half decent job should always have a few spare dollars/euros/pounds to be able to spare something even if its little..

yes you can say you made that money and its all yours but how much of your belongings are made in the place you live... most of them are made in cheap places and even donating a small amound ?2 a week is most likely way less than what it would be if all your products were made in your own country
  17. Roel

Roel Well-Known Member

i know
    but we shouldnt keep supporting them, we need them to stand on their own feet

as i said, organize the country, get the people to create some public relations. the best would be if there was a few huge depots that would buy all the harvest etc, so they can sell it for a nice prize
  18. mageboys

The fact of the matter is if Africa raises the price of crofts to there supplier...
    they will just go find it else were there needs to be a minimum fixed price on a quatity of crops such as ?5 a hour for someone working so they need to put a fixed price on every KG of food sold
  19. Roel

Roel Well-Known Member

True, but those african farmers are the people that are selling way too cheap.. they are throwing so much money away. i bet they could get at least 5 times for the low prices they sell for over there if they use their brains.
  20. mageboys

I would say this is incorrect many countries would be more than happy enough to take on the growning of these items,
    also africa cant process the food itself actually on the farms as they dont have any of the equipment and this is were most of the money is made,
    In Africa and places you can speak about raising their price.. but the fact is they cant afford too.. if they do anything wrong to there partners they work with they could be cancelled and there income stopped for a amount of time untill they find someone else.
    The only way this could work is if the the government sorted this out, by setting fixed prices but i am also guessing many people would just accept less to undercut there competitors
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.