1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleep Paralysis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ation, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Ation

Ation s. mod Moderator Donor

Sleep paralysis is paralysis associated with sleep that may occur in normal subjects or be associated with narcolepsy, cataplexy, and hypnagogic hallucinations. The pathophysiology of this condition is closely related to the normal hypotonia that occur during REM sleep. When considered to be a disease, isolated sleep paralysis is classified as MeSH D020188. Some evidence suggests that it can also, in some cases, be a symptom of migraine.
    Read about it more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis
    Source: Wikipedia

In other words, you wake up but notice that you can move only your eyes (and maybe tongue). In most of cases, you see creepy hallucinations. It's like a nightmare but you're awake.

I've been interested about this for quite long time now. Have you experienced sleep paralysis? Tell us about it.
  2. Danny1994

Danny1994 Likes to contribute Coder

I had hallucinations once, but not "Sleep Paralysis".
  3. Ation

Why? Were you on drugs or something? o_o
  4. Wallz

Wallz Member

apparently you can induce sleep paralysis by laying completely still in your bed for 30 minutes. You are not allowed to move, itch or anything so you trick your body into thinking you are asleep when you aren't.
  5. Ation

This might work, because it's also possible to induce lucid dream and it's quite similar to sleep paralysis.
    Tricking your brain is quite easy, I found this today but haven't tried any.

Tried 5, 2 and 1 - works.
  6. iCharge

iCharge Member

I've been very interested in this, because this might occur while trying to dream lucid. (lucid dreaming is dreaming while you know you are dreaming :)) If you wake up while being lucid there is a small chance of getting sleep paralysis. I've never had it before though (also dreamed lucid only once before).
  7. Ation

Lucid dreaming is that the dream is so realistic that everything is like you were awake. You have all the senses, you can even feel a touch.
  8. iCharge

iCharge Member

The dream doesn't have to be realistic, lol. You can easily fly, do unrealistic stuff in a lucid dream. It's like a normal dream, you're just aware that you're dreaming so you can build your own dream, your own world etc etc... Anything is possible. I can be wrong on this, but I doubt it since I did some research on it a few months ago.
  9. Ation

By realistic I meant that it's not like a normal dream - it's like you would be awake, like more like real. Of course, because it's a dream and you can choose what to do, you will do such a things as fly and use super powers, lol.
  10. Scum 5436

Scum 5436 Banned Banned

So your body is completely asleep ( so your brain can indicate fake feelings etc. ) this could explain the not able to move when you wake up :P