1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Which computer build is better?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by darknesssins, Jan 11, 2017.

1. darknesssins

darknesssins Well-Known Member

I am currently trying to buy a customized computer which can play first-person shooting games on at least 100fps. I have 3 computer builds that were recommended by 3 different builders which are priced at roughly MYR3,500 (approximately USD800).

Wanted to ask you guys on what you think of the following builds, which would you pick, and what are possible improvements to the current offered builds:

[Disclaimer: I just started reading up on all these techy stuff, so I am super noob at these things. Please help! ><]

Option 1:
    INTEL CORE I5 7400 (4 CORE/ 4 THREADS/3.5GHZ)
    GIGABYTE GA-B250M-HD3 (MATX/2xDDR4/CF/6xSata3)
    EVGA GTX1060 ACX2.0 Copper Core/Heatpipe "3GB" DDR5 192Bit(1708/8000)
    XIGMATEK X-Calibre 500W (80+/NON MODULAR)
    G.SKILL AEGIS Series 8GB DDR4 2133mhz(CL15)
    WD 1TB Caviar Blue 7200RPM/64MB
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64Bit (For Build Rig only/with USB OS)
    Sharkoon VG4-W (RED)(2x 12cm Red LED Fans/2xUSB3.0/2xUSB2.0)

Option 2:

Intel Core I5 6400
    Asus z170M Plus
    MSI GTX 1060 Armor 3GB
    Cooler Master G550 PSU
    Kingston DDR4 8GM
    WD 1TB HDD

Option 3:
    i5-6600k 3.5GHz
    Gigabye GA-B150M-D3H-Intel. LGA1151 Motherboard
    Palit GTX1060 Dual Fan 6G.GDDR5X 192bit DDR5
    Cooler Master VS Series. 650/750W 80 PLUS Gold PSU
    AVEXIR GAMING RAM Core Series 8GB DDR4-2400
    WD Western Digital 1TB. WD10EZEX Caviar Blue 7200rpm
    Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 Red LED Mid-Tower Gaming Case

Thanks guys!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  2. thewilder

thewilder Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, do these:
    -get an SSD for your OS (64 GB or 128 GB)
    -get 16 GB RAM
    -buy the absolute cheapest options of mobo (Z170), RAM
    -get the cheapest CPU which suits your needs (1080 gaming above 100 fps)
    -if you can, buy the parts from amazon/ebay and assemble them yourself or with a friend who capable~stores make you pay more

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Strife

Strife RIP xSchlitzer, Best Hero EMS [Banned 09/2011] Donor

Z170 aint the cheapest. Dont buy a "K" Processor, since overclocking wont be anything you will need. Also buy a H170 MoBo, or even B170 if you feel like it. Z170 is for overclocking aint it aint worth the money.

4. otkk

otkk Well-Known Member

A SSD for your OS, a HDD for storage, a GPU from this side of 2014, a sadharmy, 16gigs of ram and a motherboard with I/O and you're good.
    Also, like @Strife said, don't waste your money on a K CPU if you're not gonna overclock.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Made me laugh! Made me laugh! x 1
  5. Race Him

Race Him Tryst hates blacks Donor

He asked which ones better so l'll give him a straight answer and why.

The 3rd one is better because you can overclock your cpu, you wont be as locked down with a 6400/7400, also i see the video card has 6G of VRAM, and not to mention that ram being clocked at 2400mhz

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Strife

Strife RIP xSchlitzer, Best Hero EMS [Banned 09/2011] Donor

BS, you cant overclock with a B or H MoBo.

7. darknesssins

Thanks guys, I have also asked around irl and finally decided on the first option. I am waiting for someone else to quote me his build, but that should be in a week's time. I'll probably start buying the parts in 2 weeks time.

This is what I'll do if I get the first option:
    1) Get a lower storage for HDD and invest in a SSD for my OS
    2) A better PSU, at least 550W
    3) Prolly save money by using pirated windows (or maybe I should just get the original windows :o)
    4) Possibly an upgrade to 16GB RAM. @thewilder and @otkk what are the benefits of 16GM RAM if I only use the computer for games? I read that most of the games use only 4GM RAM, please advise and correct me if I'm wrong.

Appreciate the inputs from everyone, have a great day!

8. otkk

otkk Well-Known Member

16 gigs is not necessary, although, you will not have to upgrade your RAM for a long time and you will be able run more things a little smoother.

Usualy you can find a 16gig pack of 2x 8gig sticks for cheaper than two 8 gig sticks separately.

Also, FYI, there's sites to calculate the PSU's power you need.

9. thewilder

Your system will be slow with only 8 GB. Especially if you use Windows 10 which updates itself on autopilot, meaning there is always some kind of download happening.
    Also I realized while playing Infinite Warfare my RAM usage was 13 GB on Ultra settings (dual geforce 1080 build).
    So you need exactly 16 GB of RAM. If you do video editing regularly, you can bump it up to 32 GB.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Facepalm Facepalm x 1
    • Shitpost Shitpost x 1
  10. anddys

anddys New Member

1. I would still get a 1TB hard drive, its only like $5 to go from 500gb to 1tb. I would get a 120gb+ SSD for all your games/OS.
    2. 500W should be okay, tho use a calculator to make sure. Getting a 550W+ will make it easier to upgrade parts.
    3. If your still a student or know one, you can generally get a free student version of windows/office. I may or may not still have one to sell.
    4. imo 8gb is enough, i don't remember going past 8gb except when botting maple - tho i don't play alot of games. Just get 8gb and if its not enough you can always get 8gb extra later.

for option 1
    - you can pick another case if u want and find one that you like, i doubt your can turn the red LED fans off so it may annoying to constantly have on

optional: get an aftermarket cpu cooler (e.g. 212 evo for $35ish USD) if you want your pc to be quieter

11. Race Him

Race Him Tryst hates blacks Donor

Ofc, but he asked which is better, and you gave him information he doesnt understand.

so adleast tell him which is better!

dont confuse him

12. thewilder

Look at them jealous sports downvoting me post, haha.

16 GB RAM is needed for optimal usage. Hell, even now my memory usage is 41% with my Win 10 doing nothing, only the infamous memory hog Chrome running. Keep that in mind that if you run out of RAM, Windows will start using your pagefile on your hard drives which is a bit slower, that's why you might see some lagging in the process.

This is confirmed by pretty much every techy youtube channel, go ahead and watch a few. I recommend Linus videos most, he is a funny lad.

13. darknesssins

I'll probably stick to 8GB and add on later as I don't see myself pushing my kit anyway. Currently, I am only playing Overwatch and League, so meh. haha
    Thanks for the PSU calculator advise, never knew such a thing existed! But i'll bump it up to 550W at least for the ease of future upgrades

Yup, thanks for your advise! Will definitely get the SSD and bump up the PSU to 550W for future upgrades. Also changed the case haha, and i don't think i'll need the aftermarket cpu cooler as I've read, it's mostly necessary if you tend to overclock your kit, which I won't. (I may be wrong)

Relax relax, I'm sure all the above 3 options are able to play fps games at around 100fps consistently. But I also want to know which is the best bang per buck kind of thing. So since I don't see myself overclocking, I could invest in a different processor that better fits my needs. But thanks anyway, appreciate the input as I'm still learning about these computer stuff. :)
    Thanks! Will definitely look it up. Will add another 8GB RAM when I find it necessary :)

14. Azertify

Azertify Nya~ Moderator Dedicated Donor

>16GB RAM
    unnecessary for the required usage, and you can always upgrade anyway. Also a 1080 isn't needed, 1060 will do 100fps on most competitive FPS games, if he wants to max out the latest shooters then a 1070 will probably do.

Out of the 3, I would mix and match a bit.
    With a i5 & GTX 1060, 550W should be more than enough, so get a nice 80+ Gold PSU with around 550 / 600W, a kick-ass 1060 and a modern i5.

You won't go too far wrong with any of those builds but I'd recommend putting an SSD in just for extra boot speed.

15. thewilder

I never said he needs an nvidia 1080. Although I give you that, I could have written "1080p" instead.
    You can argue about 16 GB ram, but this has been proved on many youtube tech channels. You need that amount for gaming.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 16, 2017 ---
    Retards. Retards everywhere~

• Disagree Disagree x 3